Missing Our Lily
Stories from a family that has survived SIDS. We lost Lily, but we haven't lost us.
Friday, October 14, 2005
Been down.

I've been feeling a bit down. There's a little girl I know peripherally, she was a second grader at another school here, she had been battling cancer for a few years. I met her at Relay for Life last year, and she was a Brownie scout in a partner troop to mine. She was friendly with my friend Terry's kids...they're as good as my own kids. Terry's oldest son had leukemia as a kid, and even though it's been six years since he's been in remission and he's thirteen now, his kind is the multiple recurring sort. He's scanned every six months.

Anyway, they all attend a really cool sleepaway camp together, called Camp Quality. It's for kids who have lived through cancer, and their siblings. It's a great program.

Anyway, she was a cutie. I say was, because she passed away last week. She was buried last Sunday in Lily's cemetary. I'm just heartsick over it. I wanted to attend the funeral and burial, but it was just too close to home for me. Ever since I was in highschool, I've donated to St. Judes and to other organizations working against childhood cancers. Cancer shouldn't happen to kids.

Monday night I attended a troop leader meeting and learned that her mom was taken to L&D, her blood pressure went bonkers after the funeral and they had to take the baby girl she was pregnant with six weeks early to save both of their lives. She buried one baby Sunday, and on Monday has another who is fighting for life.

I'm talking to Parks and Rec here in town to get them to let us have space in a park to create a flowerbed in her honor, as something our troops can work on together in her memory.

I'm so sorry for these people.

link | posted by Ani at 9:40 PM


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

« Back to Main Page

© anistrainwreck.blogspot.com | powered by Blogger | designed by mela
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com