Missing Our Lily
Stories from a family that has survived SIDS. We lost Lily, but we haven't lost us.
Sunday, November 27, 2005
A BRAIN TUMOR

These kids are giving me a BRAIN TUMOR.

I've had my first completely freaking bizarre surreal moment with my kid (HA! Guess which one? The 3 year old dynamo, of course) that I actually was struck dumb and useless for a good few minutes. I had NO idea what to do.

I mean...really. What do you do when your child has not only impaled her little leg on a metal spike and then wrenched it out herself, and THEN comes running to you?

Let me backtrack a bit and let you know what happened. I hear "OH MY GOD!" from T. This is NEVER good. Last time we needed stitches. I dropped the dishes I was washing and ran...and found El rounding the corner, crying, blood running down her leg. Holy guacamole. There's a LOT of blood. I snatch her up and start applying pressure with a diaper of Ev's (clean of course, it was handy) anyway, finally get to looking at the wound, and just don't understand what I'm seeing. Get a baby wipe and clean off the blood, and I'm looking at two small holes, with a connecting 2 inch line under the skin...

She was jumping on the bed, somehow landed on a wire mesh shelf, and it went through the skin on her leg...pinioned her. She pulled it out herself! HERSELF! She's THREE.

I was just struck dumb. What the heck do I do? I called a friend over, as I had her daughter over spending the night and I called the ER to see what I should do. My first instinct was to throw her into her carseat and head to the ER. They said not to bother. As long as it didn't puncture muscle or into the back of her knee, she was fine. Just use lots of Bactroban on it. She was fine and running around ten minutes later wanting an ice cream cone.

Which proves that Sponge Bob Bandaids can cure anything. Even impalement.

link | posted by Ani at 8:49 PM


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

« Back to Main Page

© anistrainwreck.blogspot.com | powered by Blogger | designed by mela
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com