Saturday, January 28, 2006
Shake that bootie!
So, it's been wild week here. B threw out his back. We thought the worst, went to the ER, then next to a gp, then referred to orthopedists and to a physical therapist. To ultimately discover that there's no slipped disc, no spine injury at all...he has something called a "Sacroiliac Rotation". It's when the tendons and ligaments connecting your pelvis together get over extended. If you don't have adequate muscle tone there-and nobody really does, your pelvis won't move back to where it should, and it can push up against nerves, and worst of all, the sciatic nerve. B first got injured like this a year ago, taking out the trash. He had to crawl back into the house. It was puny and sad, but he got better. Turns out, he's never healed from that. He would be fine, but if that nerve center would get a little inflamed, he'd just deal with it. Well, he locked up during a meeting last week, and had to crawl out and home.I'm working overnights, 12-8am shift and taking him to the hospital during the days. Monday I got super lucky that we were scheduled to be in the hospital anyway, because they were short staffed so I helped out in one of the residences and supervised at breakfast. They served bananas. I'm allergic to bananas. I didn't touch them, didn't eat them, had zip to do with them. My eyes puffed up and started to swell shut. My lips started to buzz. My face felt tight. Luckily Linds husband recently had an anaphylactic reaction, and after what happened to him, I was clued in pretty quickly that this was happening to me. (Thanks for nearly dying, Brandon!) I jacked a golf cart and rushed to the infirmary and was given 6 Benadryl's and yelled at for not having an epi pen. Thought it was all over when I could see again, left for home as scheduled, picked up B and drove him to the hospital. A couple of hours later, I swelled up like crazy. I got an epinephrine shot and scripts for epi pens and really lectured about how I would have died without the Benadryl, and that the Benadryl gave me just enough time to get help. (it's almost an hour's drive home from work, a few less Benadryl and I'd probably have died on the side of the road). Who the hell is allergic to freaking bananas??
B's basically got a sprained butt. Which I've been teasing him unmercifully for. One of his physical therapy moves is a back lying pelvic thrust, while squeezing his butt cheeks together. It's hilarious. I made his physical therapist squirt water out of his nose when I told B that he would probably have healed six months ago if he'd ever get on top. link | posted by Ani at 7:58 AM
